Have you ever picked up a cream or foundation, and after applying it to your skin it instantly had a soft, slippery feel? Well, in many cases that soft feeling is not from improving your skin but actually from the silicone in the products. Many cosmetic companies use silicone mainly because it gives customers a false feeling of skin improvement and smoothness. It gives instant gratification, but unfortunately, it does not have long-term benefits. Another reason silicone is commonly used as an ingredient is that it is cheaper than natural ingredients are.
What is silicone exactly? It is not a natural ingredient as it is synthetic and has chemical additives. Silicone is derived from silica and other elements, and while it is technically made from natural ingredients they undergo a chemical process when combined.
… so here are the top 10 reasons why silicone is bad for your skin!
1. Silicone clogs your pores: It traps everything like bacteria, impurities, dirt, and sebum in your skin by forming a barrier on the skin. Silicone also causes pores to enlarge, and can also encourage blackheads and acne to form. It can affect the natural process of sweating which can lead to blemishes forming. It does not let your skin breathe!
2. Silicone blocks other ingredients from absorbing into the skin: Silicone prevents other ingredients and products from working to their full potential. Since it leaves a residue and builds up on the skin, it creates a barrier that does not let your skincare products absorb into the skin like they should be able to. This makes them less effective and you will not be getting the full effect and benefits from that product or ingredient.
3. Silicone can cause breakouts, irritations, and acne: Silicone is hard to get off and can build up on your skin, leading to acne. It can especially cause irritations for people who have sensitive skin and cause your skin to become even more sensitive. If you are acne-prone and oily, using silicone-based products will make it even worse.
4. It does not support skin health: The main reason silicone is in skincare or makeup products is to give a smooth silky look. It does not have any benefits for your skin and does not have any antioxidant properties at all. There are no benefits for your skin like anti-aging, hydrating, or nourishing the skin at all. Why use a product that has no benefits when you could be using a product that is helping and healing the skin.
5. Silicone can dehydrate your skin: It prevents moisture from getting into your skin which can affect your skin’s pH level and the skin’s barrier. This can dry out your skin and cause it to be dull. When your skin is dehydrated, your skin’s moisture barrier becomes damaged and unbalanced. Having dehydrated skin can cause fine lines, wrinkles, flakiness, and dullness.
6. Silicone slows down cell turnover: It traps dead skin cells and makes it harder for your skin to shed dead layers on the skin. Silicone also slows down the process of new cells to come to the surface. When dead skin cells build up, it can cause dull skin, breakouts, and clogged pores. Silicone blocks the skin from creating new cells and getting rid of the old ones, which is not healthy for your skin and can cause a lot of harm.
7. Silicone is difficult to remove from the skin: Silicone leaves a residue, coating on the skin because it can be very heavy. Silicone-based makeup does not absorb into the skin so it just piles up on the skin. It can start building up on your skin, get into your pores, and cause your skin harm. You could be washing your face and not even realize that there is still a silicone residue left on your skin. It could be seeping into your skin and into your pores.
8. Silicone is bad for the environment: It is not good for the Earth because it is not bio-degradable and is non-recyclable. Silicone is similar to rubber and plastic. It takes a very very long time to decompose. Try using products that are safe for the environment and are recyclable.
9. Silicone can accelerate aging: Since silicone dries out your skin, it causes fine lines and wrinkles to become more visible. Since silicone increases your chance of acne and breakouts, the skin is more prone to scarring. It also has no anti-aging properties. The best products are ones with skin benefits and help with aging so you can have youthful skin.
10. Silicone is a chemical and is not natural: The silicone in products is modified into many different formulas. Silicone goes through a chemical process which makes it synthetic. The best skincare and makeup products are ones that have natural, organic, and gluten-free ingredients.
These are just some of the many reasons why silicone is bad for your skin and should be avoided in all skincare and makeup products. There are many alternatives to use in skincare and makeup products that are much healthier. Some natural emollients that can be used as alternatives are jojoba oil, squalane, rosehip oil, and aloe vera juice. We do not use any silicone is our products for those reasons. You should care about what is going on your skin so make sure you are buying skincare and makeup products with only the healthiest ingredients.
Other names for Silicone to look for on labels: amodimethicone, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, methicone, trimethicone, nylon, trimethylsilylamodimethicone, dimethiconol, bis-PEG-18 methyl ether dimethyl silane, triethoxycaprylylsilane, triethoxycaprylylsilane crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, polydimethylsiloxane, siloxane, acrylamides, acrylates, carbomers, copolymers, methacrylates, polymers, polyvinylpyrrolidone, dimethicone copolyol, cyclohexasiloxane, phenyl trimethicone.